We’ll Discover the Wonders of Nature: FORAGING a Family with “Antler”
Today’s podcast guest asked to go by the pseudonym “Antler” to protect his family and career, and we are happy to share his story today. “Antler” is an aspiring herbalist and proud parent of two young children. He and his partner recently welcomed their son into the world with a challenging premature birth after the mother’s water broke at 32 weeks. During this experience, Antler utilized his knowledge of entheogens (specifically psilocybin containing mushrooms) to navigate, manage, and overcome all the challenges that arose from having a partner hospitalized for five weeks and new born in the NICU for two weeks.
Antler currently makes a living working in finance for a large bank, with past career experience in private investments with a hedge fund as well as public service with the U.S. Treasury Department. His experience with herbalism and sacred plants continues to lead him away from the corporate world and back to a more healthy and natural lifeway.
He found psychedelic medicine through his study of natural healing and passion for wild food foraging. The role of entheogens in our lives is also a hot topic within the ReWilding Movement, a movement that resonates with Terrance McKenna’s oft-cited Archiac Revival phenomena. Antler uses ReWilding strategies to participate in the project of reversing human domestication.
In this episode, Jonathan and “Antler” discuss the ReWilding movement, the Pro-Child approach to parenting, and how psilocybin should be seen as a component of “complete nutrition” and how mushroom tea helped “Antler” and his partner conceive, hold a connective space while his premature son was staying in the NICU, and come to terms with the difference between their plans for a natural home birth, and the reality of their circumstances when their water broke at 32 weeks gestation.
Topics and Websites Discussed in this Episode:
- Reishi Mushrooms
- Pro-child vs Pro-parent child rearing
- The Manual: The Definitive Book on Parenting and the Causal Theory by Dr. Faye Snyder
- DrFayeSnyder.com: “The Causal Theory”
- Thou Shalt Not Be Aware: Society’s Betrayal of the Child by Alice Miller
- Internal Family Systems Therapy by Richard C Schwartz, PhD
- YouTube: “Systemic Family Constellations” with Vince Anthony Pitre
- Mushroom delivery methods
- The Third Wave: “The Ultimate Guide to Microdosing Infographic”
- Huffington Post: “Everything You Wanted to Know About Microdosing”
- Time Money: “Microdosing on the Job Can Make You a Better Worker”
- The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide by Dr. James Fadiman